Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Bobby Unser - Duluth, Minnesota


Lake Superior Boardwalk in Duluth, Kim and me, Me winning the International Anchor Pulling Contest and a bridge that raises to let boats pass by



Bobby Unser, the race car driver is parked 3 spaces away from us here in Duluth. For those who don’t know, he is the only three time winner of the Indy 500 that did it in three different decades (1968, 75 & 81). He is also the first driver to achieve 190 miles per hour at the Indy 500. He is 73 and retired. He pulled in yesterday and has a Travel Supreme Motorhome. We looked at Travel Supreme when we bought our MH, but their least expensive model was more than we wanted to spend. It worked out kind of funny in that the pull through space went behind our rig and several others and there was no way they could get into their space and not get their coach scraped by tree limbs. They were outside looking the situation over when I walked up to them told him I grew up on a farm, drove the big rig down there on the end and had a suggestion. He told his wife Linda, “Let’s listen to the farmer”. They had already stated that when they eventually left, they could easily pull out of the front of the pull through space, so I suggested they drive by my rig and into the front main driveway and I would help him back into the space. They all liked that idea and we got him in the space safely. One thing I noticed about him is that he really followed my directions. His wife Linda offered a handshake and was very friendly. I told them our company back home does all the alarm work for Travel Supreme. Linda said they would have to have me come down and show them how to do some things in the coach. They pull a yellow VW bug with a huge Plexiglas rock deflector. He has is name by the driver’s window in the coach and also on the back of the bug. I never thought when I left home that I would meet and shake hands with Bobby Unser.
We had a nice drive yesterday and Joe and Carol showed us around Duluth. They said it is known as the “Air Conditioned City”. They said it is normally cool here. It is the furthest west point of the great lakes (Lake Superior). Joe knows his way around well and we are going to the north shore today. It should be a lot of beautiful country.

No comments: